I can’t believe 2016 is coming to a close already! It’s been a great year in my personal life, which is awesome! I started my bookstagram account in October and my blog in November, and the community has been so incredible and everyone has been so friendly and helpful! I’ve already made some amazing friends, and I hope to make more in 2017! So that leads me here! I want to talk about some of my milestones and favorite books that were published in 2016 and talk about some goals and challenges I’m setting for myself in 2017.
Alright! To start, here are some of my 2016 accomplishments:
- I read 96 books (though I’m about to finish my 97th!) totaling 33,124 pages read!
- The longest book I read was 994 pages, and it was The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss!
- I started my bookstagram account in October, and just recently hit 1,100 followers!
- I started my blog in November, and have loved every second of it!
I also want to talk about some of my favorite 2016 releases. Some of these I read prior to starting my blog, so I’ve linked their Goodreads pages. The others I’ve linked to my reviews!
- Witness by Caroline Mitchell
- While You Were Sleeping by Kathryn Croft
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
- Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Quite the variety of genres among my 2016 favorites! Some thrillers (obviously!), some YA fantasy, some sci-fi, and some chick lit! There are definitely others I could list, but I’ll stick with these 6 for now! You can follow me or add me as a friend on Goodreads to see my other ratings and reviews!
Moving into 2017, here are some of my goals.
- Continue to be active on Netgalley and Edelweiss, and complete stay above the 80% review threshold on Netgalley. Actually, leaving anything unfinished drives me crazy, so it will likely be at 100%, but I need to catch up on my outstanding ARCs first!
- Get on a publisher’s auto-approved list on Netgalley. This is basically my life goal. I’ll feel like I’ve made it!
- Read 100 books. My goal this year was 50 and I almost hit 100 this year. I think I can easily make that happen next year, and I look forward to trying!
- Continue to grow my bookstagram/blog/twitter accounts
- Be a “featured review” on Netgalley on the title page for one of their book descriptions
- Participate in a blog tour and become more involved in the blogging community through guest posts, buddy reads, author interviews, and giveaways!
And now, my 2017 challenge!
Beat the Backlist is is hosted by Austine @ novel knight and is something I’d been thinking about before I even knew it was a challenge! I feel like I sometimes get too caught up in reading ARCs that I forget about (or don’t make time for) books that have been on my list for a while, so I want to be better at that, and I think this challenge will help. Here are the details:
The Beat the Backlist Challenge is focused on knocking off titles that have been on your TBR for a while, or even ones that get pushed aside for new releases. Over the years, and especially this one, I’ve noticed that new releases are getting more and more attention while our TBRs continue to grow. And the polls I’ve seen/hosted have shown that readers also really want backlist title reviews (if that’s an added incentive to read more of them).
This challenge will run from January 1st to December 31st, 2017.
That’s right. You have en ENTIRE YEAR to complete your goal.
Books must be released prior to 2017
(this challenge isn’t for new releases)
Set your reading goal
Pick the books you want to read
This is more about you working toward decreasing your TBR stack alongside a bunch of other readers!
Post updates throughout the year with #beatthebacklist
I’m going to try and be good and read at least 4o book that were on my Goodreads TBR list prior to January 1, 2017. That still gives me lots of room for new releases, and I can always read more than 40 if I hit that goal early on! I want to work my way through some of the books that have been sitting on my shelf for a while.
That was a LONG post, so that’s all from me for now! What challenges are you looking at participating in?